Monday, April 20, 2009

Hello, I am a "Saver".

I’ve always been a “saver.” I used to hoard Halloween candy until the following October. I used to save my coloring books because, well, what if I would get more joy out of coloring them when I was older? I used to save up my allowance, and later my clothing allowance, until I had too much to know what to do with. I remember one particular trip to Saskatoon when I was probably 15 or 16 years old. (trips to Saskatoon, or any place worth shopping, from my hometown happened about twice a year) I had earned some money through babysitting and I think I grabbed about $30 (that was A LOT!) with intentions of buying something special for myself, or even just blowing it on nothing. I just wanted to spend my money. I looked all day and I think I ended up spending about $5 that day. I was so disappointed, because I really wanted to spend it all!


It has become much easier to spend $30 in the last number of years. Somehow $30 doesn’t go as far when there are groceries to buy, bills to pay, and a house to maintain. But, like I mentioned in an earlier post, there are always our allowances.


When Nathan and I were first married, we worked out a budget. We are both “savers” as opposed to “spenders” but we each like our little extras every now and then. We decided to budget in allowances so that we could each feel free to buy those things that we would like b
ut that we wouldn’t be able to justify adding to the budget (like video games). This money could be spent however we wanted, and without consulting the other person first. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! Seriously, couples, try this!


Our allowance amounts have fluctuated as our income and expenses have gone up and down. These days it sits around $25 or $30 a month. When we first started allowances, I would often spend it on a magazine subscription or a book. Once I splurged and enlarged some pictures that I
had taken and framed one. But, folks, this weekend, my “saver” personality cashed in and I spend my allowance. All of it. I had been eyeing this beauty for months already. We were in Winnipeg on the weekend and Nathan suggested that I check if the Blacks in the mall had what I wanted. It hadn’t even crossed my mind to be shopping for a big purchase this weekend (this is probably how I refrain from spending…I just don’t think of it).



It’s a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.


I probably walked around our house for over an hour when we got home, just playing with my new toy. I had fun figuring out how the apertures and shutter speeds affect each other and getting a feel for how it responds to different settings and lighting. I got some ok pictures, but can
’t wait to get it out in daylight when I can really play with exposures and depth of field. I’m thinking this will be my main “portrait” lens. My zoom (17-300mm f3.4) that I got for my birthday will be another good “portrait” lens…also especially good for outdoor shots. And the original lens that the camera came with will be my…???...my extra lens? It’s nice for indoor shots because it’s a wider angle lens, so if my 50mm isn’t wide enough, that’s what I’ll use. So that’s my splurge. Now what do I dream of next? Perhaps some form of lighting…an auxiliary flash, maybe?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!!!! Jeremy and I have this lens and adore it! Until we're married, the camera pretty much stays at Jeremy's place, and so I don't get to play with this very often. When we go out to take photos, though, Jeremy usually pulls out the other lenses, while my favourite remains the 50mm. Good spend!

Sylvia said...

Good for you! But what will we get you for Christmas?