Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Joys of Cooking…and Frustrations of Computers


So yesterday I wrote this big, long post all about cooking for my friend Erica. She LOVES to cook, and when I asked for suggestions for things to write about, she suggested that I share what my favourite thing to cook is. I thought it was a great idea and wrote my entire post about cooking. It was over a page long! And then I lost it. Arg! When I save it, shouldn’t it be saved where I saved it, even if I erase it in another place? Oh well, here is my (much) shorter post about cooking…for Erica.

What is my favourite thing to cook?
Well, I think some of my favourites are pizza (trying out new things to make my pizza the most amazing ever), lasagna (I just love those noodles) and this Bean Rigatoni that I made the other day. That was a lot of fun!

Does Nathan ever cook or do you do all the cooking?
Nathan does like to help out in the kitchen sometimes. He’s always the one who makes breakfast on weekends and often helps out with lunch on weekends too (though KD isn’t too hard to make). He’s usually the one who makes the garlic bread or iced tea for suppers too. But, sometimes, when I just DON’T want to cook, he’ll whip out something amazing and I’m impressed. He tries to convince me that he doesn’t know how to read a recipe or how to throw things together, but he’s lying. That boy can cook.

When did you start cooking? Do you enjoy cooking?
I started cooking when I was pretty young, I think. In jr high/high school, my mom had this idea that each of us 3 kids had to make one supper for the family each month. I’m pretty sure it didn’t last through to grade 12 for me, but it was a great idea while it lasted! I think all three of us kids can cook pretty decent meals, if not amazing ones! I’ve always enjoyed cooking, though I always appreciate when someone else cooks for me and I get to sit back and enjoy. The worst part of cooking is thinking of what to make. Once I’ve got something in mind, I can usually have fun making it.

What is your cooking style?
I’m not really a “follow-the-recipe” type cook. To me, a recipe is a guideline. I’ll look for a new recipe and then end up substituting or approximating most of the ingredients. Sometimes I’ll follow a recipe exactly (more often when baking) but more often, I’ll just make something up. I’ll look around and think, “I want to use pork chops, rice and veggies. I want it to be saucy and kinda like this” and then I’ll make it. It frustrates Nathan when I make something really good, because he’ll tell me that I need to make it again, and I won’t remember what I added and how exactly I made it.

So there’s my shorter cooking post. I’ve got something really fun for you tomorrow, with pictures, but I can’t write about it today, because I forgot the pictures at home. Be sure to check back tomorrow. I’ll try to make it exciting…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Can I steal it to do a "Heather" rendition?