Monday, April 6, 2009

Even Awkward Times can be Encouraging

Tonight was our farewell at our church. It wasn’t really a “leaving town” farewell, though we are, in fact, leaving town. It was more of a “resignation” farewell. Because of the size and *nature of our church, there aren’t farewells for every person who moves away or leaves the church. But because we were done at the church in September/February and are moving in summer, some people thought that a farewell would be fitting. (and I am thankful that we weren’t able to slip away unnoticed…)

We knew very little about what was happening this evening. We were told that it would be a very formal setting with a long program, as that would suit our personalities perfectly. We took this as sarcasm (luckily) and assumed, therefore, that it would be a relaxed evening. We arrived in the church basement to a California-themed evening. How very fitting! Relaxing and warm.

Now, here’s a little note about my personality: I dislike mingling. It makes me uncomfortable, awkward and exhausted. It’s all fine and dandy when there is something to talk about with someone I know, but when it’s a bunch of people I don’t really know, and there’s not much more to say than, “Yeah, we’re moving…trying to sell the house...schooling is two years…don’t know where Lennox is going yet…yup…big gulps, eh?” Well, it’s just a bit awkward, that’s all.

So, anticipating a long, awkward farewell, I prayed that it would be less awkward than I was expecting. And God did what he always does when I pray that something would be better than I’m anticipating…He made it a wonderful evening. Sure, there were moments of “What do I do/say next? Can I please camouflage into the carpet now?” but overall, it was a good evening. There were some very encouraging words (thanks to those who are reading this who came and talked to me and made my night a good one) and some good laughs. God definitely answered my prayers.

Along with the California theme, there was a Nascar race playing on a projector (one where Nathan’s favorite driver wins), Starbucks coffee (instead of church coffee), m&m’s on the table (because m&m’s sponsor Nate’s Nascar driver), and no program. There was an open mic and some music by some guys who were/are our youth. And other than that, there was just time for lots of mingling, which I made it through with all limbs and nerves intact.

So there you have it. My personal testimony that even awkward times can be encouraging. Now, I need to gear up for Wednesday night. Our ladies encouragement evening that I mentioned about two weeks ago was postponed to this week, so I’m trying to get myself psyched up for that. I was all ready to go last time and now I’m questioning everything I had prepared. Do I even share what I was planning on? I guess I’ve just had too long to think about it now. If you think of me on Wednesday evening, you can pray that I’ll have the guts to share and to know what/how to share it.

Well, that’s about all for now. Hope you all have a good week! (I plan to!)



*nature of our church – being in the town that it is, our church doesn’t have a lot of people moving away. Many people who attend our church have lived here for most/all of their life and will probably continue to live here for the rest of their lives. So if someone leaves our church, it is more likely because of a transfer to another church here in town (which is an unlikely reason for a farewell), rather than a departure. Therefore, farewells happen when staff resign. When other members move away, it seems that farewells are up to the friends and family of the “departing.” (Just a little “cultural” explanation to those who are unfamiliar with where I live.)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Sounds like a good evening Niki! Sad I missed it! But we wil for sure hang out yet before you guys leave!