Tuesday, April 20, 2010

being crafty...

<--this is not me and this is not my sewing room...though a girl can dream, right?

I spent yesterday in my craft room (yup, I have pretty much taken over our spare bedroom with my projects).  I have so much on the go right now.  I guess I just need to face it that that's how I work.  I find myself with nothing to do so I start looking for projects.  I start 10 projects at the same time and spend the next couple weeks (or months) jumping from project to project until they're all done.  Then I do nothing for a while until I realize that I have nothing to do and the cycle starts all over again.

I've been meaning to post pictures of what I've been working on lately, but, of my many projects, none of them is actually finished, so there will be no pictures today.  Hopefully soon!  But I can tell you what I'm working on!  That's almost as good, right?  Ok, no it's not.  But we can pretend...

Let's see.  My biggest project is what I'm making for the twins that are coming into the family.  Of course, that is a gift, so I can't say what it is or post pictures until after I've given the gift.  But believe me, it's pretty cool and it is coming along quite well, if I do say so myself...

The next project is one of those sleeve-things for the car seat belt.  I have this terrible habit, when I ride in the car, to put the seat belt under my arm instead of across my chest, as it is supposed to be.  Well, I was in the car the other day and realized that I will need to stop doing that as the seat belt goes right across my expanding belly...and that just isn't safe.  Yet when the seat belt is across my chest, it cuts into my neck because, let's face it, I am a wee bit on the small side.  So I cut up an old-man, plaid, Wrangler shirt and made a quilted sleeve out of it.  It turned out pretty cool-looking.  I ran into a bit of a problem with this project last night, though.  I measured the seat belt width and added an inch to allow for padding and so that the sleeve would wrap all the way around the belt.  Well, when I took it to the car last night, it didn't even quite wrap all the way around.  Apparently an inch wasn't enough.  I'm not about to take it all apart and make a new one, so now I need to figure out how to make this thing fit.  That's why there are no pictures of this project yet.

I also have a purse on the go.  I crocheted the outside of it, but it is a pretty hole-y shell - granny squares, so I am planning on sewing a liner to fit inside it.  This seems like the project least with a "due date", so it is just sitting there, waiting to be completed.  I don't think it would take more than an hour or two, but you know how it is...other things take priority.  I think it'll make a fun summer bag...that or it'll be like every other crocheted purse I've ever made and I'll never use it...we'll see!

Also on my list of projects is the regular hemming/mending that I need to do.  Nathan and I bought another pair of maternity pants for me the other day and they desperately need to be hemmed before I wear them.  I don't especially love hemming.  It's not that it's much work, I'm just nervous to cut them too short...because of this I usually end up not hemming them short enough and still end up rolling up the bottoms!  As a result, it doesn't get done very often.  I also hope to cut a pair of my old jeans into shorts and try to add a stretchy belly panel to them so that I can wear them this summer.  Sounds like it's a disaster waiting to happen, right?  Well, yeah.  I'm nervous about trying this, so it is also just sitting there, intimidating me every time I think about it!  But I'd be so excited if it actually worked!

I'm trying to use up many of my scraps of yarn and fabric before we move...somehow it just seems more worth packing and moving if it is actually made into something.  But it would also be fun to arrive back with a few goodies so that I can play this summer! : )

1 comment:

Alicia Buhler said...

So given the number of projects you have on the go, you must have gotten your school assignments done for the semester?