Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Meal Ideas...

First off, I think it would only be fair if I shared one of my meal ideas with you.  So many of you were helpful and left a note of a suggestion for me to try, so I'll return the favor!  Now let's see...when I'm running last minute, a quick, easy, and healthy meal fall-back is...
Blogger 
 Stir Fry
The most common stir fry I make is with chicken.  I cut the chicken into strips and stir-fry it until it is cooked.  Then, I throw in some onions and peppers and cook them until they are a little bit soft.  Then, I add whatever vegetables I have in the fridge (celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) and stir-fry that for a couple minutes/seconds.  I add to that a mixture of apple juice, soy sauce, chicken stock, garlic powder, and perhaps whatever else I see as I'm throwing stuff together.  I let that simmer for a couple minutes until the veggies are cooked and serve it on rice.  Mmm...

Now on to your ideas!
 
Karisbrandes said...
Jared and I eat a fair bit of chicken ceasar salad. It's a lettuce base so I figure that's very healthy. Though that's probably counteracted by the amount of dressing that goes on it. And sometimes I fry the chicken which makes it even less healthy (but soooo yummy)
Delete
Blogger Sparlingo said...
Jeremy and I make this really lovely turkey dish. It will sound really weird, but the main ingredients are: lean ground turkey, peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger, brocolli slaw (brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage). As long as you don't use too much PB it's pretty healthy (although admittedly high in sodium).
Delete
Blogger Kelsie-Lynn said...
These days our favorite is mini-meatloafs (which I got from Sabrina's meal blog), rice or a noodle dish of some kind, stemmed veggies, and a salad. Nothing fancy but we love it. I will send you the link for the meatloafs. I don't usually like maatloaf but I love this one.
Delete
Blogger Jo Funk said...
Macaroni, Mushroom Soup, and Hamburger... abbreviated to "mac mush ham" in my family. Ingredients: Onion, Garlic, Ground beef, Macaroni, Cream of mushroom soup, and Peas Pretty simple really... Saute diced onion and garlic, add group beef and brown. Boil up macaroni(or any other kind of noodle). When beef is fully cooked, add a can or two of cream of mushroom soup(tomato soup also works very well) and mix. DO NOT add any water or milk. Drain noodles and mix into beef sauce. Peas go well. Add to meat sauce while noodles are cooking and allow to heat through. Another awesome side dish is ranch potato bake. Ingredients: Potatoes, ranch dressing, seasoning, Ritz crackers. Cube potatoes. Cover with ranch dressing and spices(wahtever you have on hand, I like using a bit of italian seasoning and victorian epicure cheese chives and bacon dip mix). Put in a glass baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 350 until potatoes are almost done(check periodically, not sure how long it takes). when almost done, crunch up some ritz crackers and put on top. Bake uncovered until potatoes are done.
Delete
Blogger Alicia said...
Stir-fries are the staple meal around here - there's no other yummy way to get that many vegetables into me. Sometimes I come home from grocery shopping and chop a whole lot of vegetables so they're handy for stir-frying. We also chop all of our meat into stir-fry sized chunks before freezing. We use tamari instead of traditional soy sauce, which is what my naturopath recommended and I actually like it better than soy. Given that you live in California - health-freak central - you should have no problem finding it. Another idea is beef dip - yum! We brought that to potluck this evening. Carrie recommends our sausage and cabbage dish - cook some farmer sausage, add shredded cabbage, carrots (I shred the carrots with a vegetable peeler for this dish) and onions and saute. Season with butter, salt and pepper. Really good served over mashed potatoes. On the cabbage theme, I'd also recommend that you look up a "Runza" recipe online - kind of like mom's meat buns but with cabbage inside too.

No comments: