Monday, April 5, 2010

More...

Oh, Karis, you are a mean one.  Asking questions just so I have to re-type everything over and over again!  I guess you know, deep deep down, that I don't really mind...

How did you tell your families? 
Well, for my parents, we had the pleasure of sharing our news with them when they were here in person!  We bought a tiny, little onesie and wrapped it up.  We gave it to them the morning after they arrived, all casual-like, just saying that we'd seen something that made us think of them.  I had attached a tag that said, "Guess what?!"  They opened it together and were both very surprised and excited.

For Nathan's parents, we bought a little sleeper and put it in the mail with a tag that said, "Call us."  We decided at this point that mailing something, especially from the States to Canada, was a bad idea.  We waited anxiously for the package to arrive for over a week.  Finally we got a very confused/hopeful phone call and were able to share our news via Skype.

Have you had weird cravings? 
 I haven't had any/many weird cravings.  Nothing unusual anyway.  I'm thinking those may pick up once my appetite picks up a bit more in the next few weeks.

At what point did you think that you were pregnant?
 I didn't ever really think that I was pregnant!  That's the weird part.  I mean, obviously I hoped when I was late, but late for me is not out of the norm.  I felt sick for about a week before taking a test, but there was a flu going around, so I thought I had just caught that.  Besides, it wasn't like I was REALLY sick...just feeling a bit off.  When I was well over a month late, and had been feeling sick-ish for about a week, I took a test and it was positive.  The weird thing is that I'd taken two tests before that (spaced by a couple weeks) that were both negative, so I really didn't think that it had happened.  Once we had the first postive, Nathan sent me out to Walmart to buy a more expensive test so we could be sure.  An hour later, we were very sure!

I'm curious if you're planning to find out the sex of the baby?

 Well, Alicia, we're not really sure.  I don't really want to, but Nathan does, so we're talking about it.  We have about 5 weeks to decide, so we'll keep talking.  I would be interested in what you all think, though.  If you haven't had kids, do you think you would want to find out?  If you do have kids, did you find out?  Are you glad you did things the way you did?  We have no clue which way to go...


In other news, another major piece of information that kinda goes along with this whole pregnancy thing is that we are moving back to Canada.  We'll park ourselves in the promised land (aka Saskatchewan) while Nathan finishes school distance-style and then we'll see where we'll be after that.  When we found out we were pregnant, we just couldn't imagine our kids not knowing their grandparents and uncles and aunts.  Health care played into the decision as well, as did Lennox.  We're quite excited about this move, coming up in mid-May, but are also going to miss being in California for another winter... 

9 comments:

Marsha said...

woohoo! We're going to have you so close again. Can't wait!

As for finding out the sex of the baby. I see why it would be nice to know, but what if they're wrong? And you buy all this stuff for the wrong sex?
And then I also see the enjoyment of the surpise. I think I would wait.

Mrs.Johnson said...

We waited to find out the sex of our baby. And it was such a great surprise. After 9 months of being pregnant and labor, i wanted something to look forward to. And hearing my mom say "Its a boy!" made it so worth it!
Although with our next baby we will be finding our the sex. It will make planning for the future A LOT easier.

officehourthoughts said...

I don't know... I figure, Niki is like 100% sure she knows what it is, so I say confirm what you think.

Karis Brandes said...

I have always wanted the surprise. Jared was of Nathan's opinion though and wanted to find out. In the waiting room we decided not to find out but then we found out it was twins and that was enough of a surprise so we found out. I guess we could still get a surprise though.

Oh and thanks for answering all my questions Niki :D ha ha ha....

KDees said...

Well, we didn't find out for any of our boys, and I loved it. What a sweet surprise each one of them was - and I really did think they were girls. So, we were definitely surprised! But, either way you choose to do it, the anticipation of meeting that beautiful child is the best part! Even if you do know the sex! Hope the move goes well coming back to Saskatchewan!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

First off yeah for coming home to Sask! I was kind of hoping that might be the case. Seriously that is very exciting. Is Saskatoon area where you are thinking? (Oh and I have a fantastic Dr. if you are looking for one. He is absolutely amazing.)

As for finding out. We did and I loved it. Because I was so sick for the majority of my pregnancy I felt it hard to feel anything but awful, and I was 99% sure we were having a boy. So we decided to find out to confirm my feelings (haha) and so I could feel a bit more connected to the little one who was making me puke every 2 hours. In the end we were shocked to hear it was a girl and it really did help me feel more connected and not just puky. That probably sounds strange but when you spend 9 months puking its hard to feel lovely and connected and that really helped me. But I admire people who wait. Oh and we only bought one girly thing before she was born since we didn't want to be surprised and have all of this pink stuff!

Oh and I was going to say if you can hit up a Target for baby stuff before you come home I love there receiving blankets and onesies and they were way better priced then up here. Just an idea. :)

We are so excited for you guys!! I love hearing more about it! (sorry for such a LONG comment!)

Alicia Buhler said...

I'm noticing a bit of a trend: mom likes a surprise and dad wants to know...interesting. For me personally, I think I'd like the surprise element. One thing I don't appreciate so much is when parents find out the sex and announce it to everyone together with the name and sonogram pictures - what element of surprise is there then? My only exception to that rule is in high risk or more difficult pregnancies.

So my piece of advice is if you do find out the sex of your baby and decide to announce it, at least keep the name a surprise.

Bonnie said...

For our first two we left it for the surprise ... neither of us had any inkling of wanting to find out. However with #3, knowing this would be our last pregnancy and having got rid of a lot of our baby stuff when we moved back to BC we decided to find out so we knew what to prepare for!! For some reason that time around I just 'had' to know!! Darryl wasn't really sure but I convinced him and we were happy we found out. But with the first (and for us second) I personally think the surprise is fun!!

Chantelle - ThousandSquareFeet said...

I was against the trend, I guess. Jason wanted the surprise, I wanted to know. However, he said he liked the romantic notion of saying whether it was a boy or a girl. What he did say, instead, was, "Say hello to Payton!" and I thought that was just perfect. We didn't really have a choice about finding out until baby #4. At that point, we had been surprised 3 times previously so we were okay with knowing. We found out with the last two but always held it with a bit of hesitation just in case they were wrong. As for gut feelings, Jay was convinced Payton was a girl, I had no feelings whatsoever - so much for that!! As for moving back to Canada, I think the rationale is a very good one. There is such pleasure in watching the kids interact with the grandparents, aunts, uncles, your really close friends, etc. It is wonderful to watch. Once again, we are rejoicing with you!